Christian Keepsakes Jan. 30th 2000
Intro: Key words can often be connected to weave a wonderful fabric that ties the thoughts and intents of our Lord to our lives. One such word is ‘keep’. The word means ‘to preserve, to hold fast or to fulfill. As we study the word ‘keep’ we find many ‘keepsakes’ which are pure gold for the Christian.
- Keep the sayings of Christ. John 8: 51-52 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.
2. Keep the commandments of Christ. John 14:15 & 14:23 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
3.Keep the unity of the Spirit. Eph. 4:1-6 1I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
4. Keep unspotted from the world. James 1:27 27Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
5. Keep in the love of God. Jude 21 21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
6. Keep the faith. II Tim. 4:7 7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
7. Keep pure. I Tim. 5:22 Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins: keep thyself pure.
8. Keep from serving idols. I John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
9. Keep your body under control. I Cor. 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
10. Keep your heart diligently. Prov. 4:23 23Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
11. Keep from the paths of the Devil. Psalm 17:4 Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.